View
Publication Type
Journal Article
Author, Analytic
Williams, Nadia P.; Boyd, D.L.; Choy, L.; Hanchard, Barrie
Author Affiliation, Ana.
Department of Pathology
Article Title
Salivary gland lesions: A Jamaican perspective
Medium Designator
n/a
Connective Phrase
n/a
Journal Title
West Indian Medical Journal
Translated Title
n/a
Reprint Status
Refereed
Date of Publication
2001
Volume ID
50
Issue ID
1
Page(s)
62-65
Language
n/a
Connective Phrase
n/a
Location/URL
n/a
ISSN
n/a
Notes
n/a
Abstract
A retrospective analysis of the spectrum and relative frequency of salivary gland lesions diagnosed in the Department of Pathology, University of the West Indies, Kingston, Jamaica, between 1965 and 1994, is reported. Four hundred and sixty-four salivary gland biopsies were received. Of these 99 (21.3%) were non-neoplastic and the remaining 365 (78.7%) were neoplasms: 261 (71.5%) were benign and 104 (28.5%) malignant. Benign mixed tumour (BMT)/pleomorphic adenoma (PA) was the most common neoplasm (63.3%) while mucoepidermoid carcinoma (MEC) was the most common malignant neoplasm (9.6%), followed by adenoid cystic carcinoma (ACC) (7.4%). The increased frequency of MEC over ACC is at variance with other reported series but the preponderance of pleomorphic adenoma is consistent. In the major salivary glands, benign neoplasms predominate at a ratio of 3:1, while a higher proportion of minor salivary gland neoplasms was malignant, ratio 1.2:1 (p = 0.003). These data represent the first attempt to document the spectrum of disease related to oral and maxillofacial pathology in Jamaica.....
read more