Allsworth-Jones, Philip; Gray, D.; Walters, S.
Author Affiliation, Ana.
Department of History and Archaeology
The Neveh Shalom Synagogue site in Spanish Town, Jamaica
Toward an archaeology of buildings : Contexts and concepts
Place of Publication
Date of Publication
Series Editor Role
British Archaeological Reports International series
Series Volume Identification
Series Issue Identification
The Neveh Shalom synagogue stood on land at the corner of Monk and Adelaide Streets which has belonged to the Sephardim Jewish community since 1704. The building was severely damaged by the earthquake of 1907 and practically passed out of use at that time. At the suggestion of Mr Ainsley Henriques, excavations at the site were conducted jointly by UWI and the JNHT in 1998 and 1999. A plan of the area was made, on which the main foundations of the synagogue are indicated, as well as an external staircase which was excavated on its south side. 14,850 artefacts were recovered, both from the surface and from the excavated squares. Most belong to the 18th and 19th centuries, although some material was also dumped on the site in the 20th century. The earlier material includes smoking pipes, glass vessels, European and Afro-Jamaican ceramics, and some metal objects.....